What the hello does being "vegan" mean anyways?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

After several conversations this weekend, it has come to my attention that the term "vegan" is not completely understood by the general public.  Also brought to the forefront of my frontal temporal lobe was the sad truth that many restaurants misunderstand the term "vegetarian".  Always one to create drama out of a perfectly impotent situation, I ranted and raved to my friends about the lack of vegetarian cuisine and the lack of understanding of food service workers.  I mean, hello?!  If I go to the trouble of ordering a side of steamed vegetables, a baked sweet potato (hold the cinnamon butter), a side of green beans, and a salad (asking the chef to remove the cheese and egg), you would think they would alert me to the fact the green beans are cooked with ham and the steamed veggies are doused in butter!!  I'm just sayin'!

But that was in the south, where I've been living for the last few years.  Upon return to my native Los Angeles I was expecting a plethora of vegetarian and vegan fare, as well as informed food servers.  And while I have to admit I've already eaten at three vegan places (one of them twice!) in the week I've been home, I'm disappointed to find as ill equipped food service workers as in Kentucky.

As my friends and family at home have found out about my new healthy eating habits they always ask the titular question.  Here are the big three: What does "vegan" mean?  Why in the world would I do such a thing!  And how do I get my protein (see an upcoming post for the answer to this question).

I've already talked about my personal answer to the "why" question (see the "Reasons to Go Veg" label and my "About Me" page); let me explain exactly what I mean when I shock you with the statement, "I've gone vegan!".

Vegetarian means that the individual in question does not eat meat (this includes beef, poultry, pork, and fish) but may still eat dairy and eggs; this person is referred to as a lacto-ovo vegetarian.     Some vegetarians still eat fish and seafood (called pescatarians).  Others refrain from all types of meat and seafood as well as eggs, but still eat dairy (lacto vegetarian).

Being vegan means that someone refrains from eating all types of animal products, including beef, poultry, pork, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy, and honey.  So when I say I'm vegan, it means I avoid animal products as much as I possibly can.  Hard core vegans who choose to eat this way out of compassion for animals may also avoid purchasing or using any product produced using animal testing or animal products (like leather for example).

There are many reasons why one may choose to go vegan.  Many, like myself, choose to eat this way for health reasons (see the "Reasons to Go Veg" label).  The evidence is overwhelming, well documented and researched, time tested, and compelling.  Others choose to become veg for environmental reasons (Did you know that factory farms account for 80% of greenhouse gas emissions?  We are literally causing global warming by what we choose to feed ourselves).  Yet others choose veganism in protest of the way animals are treated, slaughtered, and prepared before it gets to their plate (Who wants crap in their food?  Have you SEEN Food Inc.?  Come on!).

So now you know.  Why will you choose to become vegan?

6 comments:

Oahu Mom said...

I didn't know vegan meant no honey. What's the reason for that?

Kacie said...

I'm glad you asked this question because I should have clarified this point. There's currently a big debate about whether or not its okay for vegans to eat honey. Bees are insects, living creatures who produce a product for human consumption. Honey is often produced on large factory farms and sometimes the legs of bees are needlessly removed during the harvesting process.

The answer to this question remains up in the air, but the going trend seems to be that eating honey or using bee products (like beeswax) is a personal choice. However, honey and beeswax are animal products and produced on factory farms where bees are harmed during the process. Check out this article to hear from the "no honey" side of things. http://www.friendsofanimals.org/actionline/fall-2004/is-honey-vegan.html

Kacie said...

And just to re-clarify, I said that bees "produce a product for human consumption". Truthfully, they produce honey as their own food. Honey bees on honey farms are grown to produce honey for human consumption.

Oahu Mom said...

Thanks for clarifying! Didn't know if it was a health reason or an animal/insect reason and now I do. Thanks! Makes me think of the Bee Movie! :)

Sierra said...

Hey, I like this post! It IS so weird to think that people STILL don't know what vegan is! I don't even say I'm a vegan because people just automatically assume that I'm one of "those" people, if ya know what I mean! lol

Kacie said...

Peasandlove-I totally get it! I think it might be better understood to say vegetarian but without dairy or eggs.

Post a Comment

Making Friends With Veggies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino