How to Train an Elephant or Can I take that baby elephant home with me?

Monday, August 23, 2010

I hate zoos, yet still I go.  I always feel so sad seeing the animals chained or penned up.  Today, in Chiang Mai, my husband and I went on a tour that included going on an elephant ride through the jungle.  I was a little hesitant when we got there because the elephants put on a show and then they give rides, and there were TONS of tourists.  There were also a few (babies and mommas) chained up in pens.  While super cute and cool to see close up, it was sad to see them penned up.  It reminded me of Dumbo (which I could never watch without going into hysterics). 



The place we visited was the Mae Tang elephant camp, and they rescue elephants from work camps around Thailand.  They come to this camp and do shows and rides during the day, get a bath and some food, then are released into the jungle in the late afternoons to be free, wild elephants.  The Mahouts (elephant trainers) call them in the morning, and all the elephants return!  The owners hope to open a medical care facility for the elephants, because currently the closest one is a three hour truck ride away (which is a pretty long trek if you're a sick elephant!).  Some of the elephants even paint!!  I was skeptical until I saw them do it, but then I had to buy the painting.   


For 500 baht (about $17) you can sponser an elephant for a year!  Find out more info at http://www.chiangmaielephants.asia/.  Very cool!

Did you know?:
-Elephants are highly intelligent, and considered one of the smartest animals on the planet because they have been observed using tools in the wild and can follow human commands in captivity.  They also are highly empathetic to each other as well as other species.
-There are two species of elephant: the African elephant and the Indian (or Asian) elephant
-The Asian elephant is smaller than the African elephant, has smaller ears, and has one point on the tip of his truck (instead of two like the African elephant)
-The Asian elephant is an endangered species
-An elephant's trunk contains about 1000 different muscles
-Elephants eat about 300lbs of food (grasses and roots) a day!
-The gestation period for an elephant is about 22 months, and they only have one at a time.
Find out more about the Asian elephant here and here

2 comments:

Alessandra said...

Wow! Incredible, he paints better than me!! I heard about this rescue place for elephants, I hope that they are treated well :-)

Oahu Mom said...

This post made me curious so I looked for painting elephants on YouTube and wow, impressive! Would love to know more about how they train them, whether a certain elephant always paints the same picture, etc.

Post a Comment

Making Friends With Veggies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino