Still processing Food Inc

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's been a few days, but I can't stop thinking about Food, Inc.  Connecting the hamburger to its unhappy, factory-farm source is easier when seeing it with my own eyes.  Although I didn't walk through these particular farms with my own two feet, directors Robert Kenner and Eric Schlosser have brought the horrific reality of life on the factory straight to my home.  And it was enough to convince me to jump the vegan fence into green fields of blissful vegetarianism. 
 
If you have ever driven north on I-5 from LA to San Francisco, you've probably noticed the stench of several factory farms that hug the freeway.  I've often thought, as I've passed those baying cows wallowing in mud and their own excrement, that these must not be the happy cows portrayed in certain ads selling cheese from a certain state.  I've wondered where indeed the cows in those commercials come from, as the moo-ers I've seen in my home state certainly aren't meandering across green fields.  The cow living in Kentucky seems to be a little more content, although she may have to contend with January ice storms.  At least she has green fields most of the year!

One thing in particular that stands out from the film is the farmer towards the end of the movie who discusses farming practices.  The camera follows him as he walks through his herd of pigs, saying, "Hey pig!  Hey piggles!" (Saturday Night Live flashback anyone?), fully knowing that they'll soon be ready for slaughter.  The farmer appears in another scene in which he discusses something else; in the background one of his employees is slaughtering chickens.  The chickens are squawking away, fully aware of whats about to happen them, while the farmer was oblivious to the chicken's terror.  While watching this scene I compulsively yelled out, "Nooo!  That chicken DOESN'T WANT to go into that slaughtering cone!".  Good thing it was at home and not in public. 

Sheesh, I sound like a full on vegan now!  But seriously, why eat living, breathing creatures when other options are available?  Doesn't this pig look so happy to be alive?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Making Friends With Veggies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino