Food Inc.

Monday, July 12, 2010

I finally watched Food Inc. and I have to admit, I’m a little traumatized.  It gave me flashbacks to my early days of living next door to a pig slaughter house.  The pig pen was literally in my back yard, although my family was not affiliated with it in any way.  My grandpa even built me a little clubhouse that my mom painted with happy, mud-wallowing pigs.  I think I liked having those pigs back there; I enjoyed hearing them snort and root around.  Once in a while one would escape and go tearing around our house, ruining my mom’s flower gardens.  However, several times a year the farmers would slaughter my piggy friends. 

I remember one incident as if it was yesterday.  I was innocently playing in my playhouse when all of a sudden I heard the pigs screaming in terror.  I don’t remember if I knew what exactly was happening, but I sure knew those pigs were suffering.  I sprinted from the back yard to my bedroom, crying hysterically.  My mom was obviously concerned with my level of upset, but I wouldn’t calm down.  I was so disturbed about those pigs, and I can still hear their screams.

From that point on I never liked to eat pork.  I did occasionally, but I especially did not care for ham or pork chops; for some reason, they seemed particularly connected to the pig.  I also could not eat veal (knowing it was baby cow), deer (thanks to Bambi) or lamb (because of that old cartoon “Lambert, The Sheepish Lion”).  Aside from that, I’ve always been a picky eater and squeamish.  Looking back on it, its kind of amazing that its taken me this long to become veg.     

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Making Friends With Veggies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino