The Arugula...I mean the Red Chard was not so bad!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Correction on my last post.  What I thought was arugula was actually red chard.  Yeah, big difference.  I thought it looked intriguing in its wicker basket at the organic farm's stand at the farmer's market, so I picked some up...with absolutely no idea what I was gettng into.  I googled some ideas for preparation and found several sites that mentioned sauteeing it in a little oil and salt and pepper.  Now, I'm not clear on whether or not chard must be cooked in order to be consumed healthily, but it sounded better than predictable green salad.

After heating the skillet on medium high with a little veggie oil, I threw in some garlic and white onion and let that cook for a few minutes.  Right before throwing in the chard, which I chopped into fourths, I added lemon juice to the skillet.  Then I cooked the veggies for a few minutes, until they were soft.  The result was hot, chewy, tasteful greens!!  I'm SO proud of myself!  I've had a few vegan experiments (vegan mac & cheese to be specific) that did not turn out so tasty (even my garbage-disposable type husband wouldn't eat it!  But lets be honest, some things are just not meant to be vegan).  Next time I'll cook the chard a minute or two longer, and perhaps had the lemon juice to the final result.

Add to the meal fresh corm on the cob, quinoa, left over salad and beans, and you have a complete week night meal!  Those of you experienced cooks out there may have even better suggestions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You get to cooking great here soon,trust me. I am I'm posting pictures from the kind diet tonight.

Anonymous said...

Oops typo,you'll get to cooking,I meant.

Kacie said...

Thanks for the encouragement!

Post a Comment

Making Friends With Veggies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino